Skip Navigation

Hawks Athletics

Hayfield Secondary School


Hawks Athletics

Hayfield Secondary School

Hawks Athletics

Hayfield Secondary School

Game Summaries & Headlines.

Game Summary

4 years ago

Boys Varsity Lacrosse vs. Fairfax HS

Game Date
Apr 15, 2016

Hawks Complete Epic Comeback, Beat Rebels by 3

     The Boys Varsity Lacrosse team had just played their worst 24 minutes of the season, and were seemingly out on their feet, no life to be seen. Except for one goal from Sr. MF Thomas Hughlett, apparently the only player with an ounce of energy in his body, the Hawks were on their way to a drubbing (down by nine, 10-1 at the half) from the Rebels of Fairfax HS. Hayfield was hosting the 2nd Annual Military Appreciation Night, and the only energy on the evening so far had come during the pre-game ceremony. This game was essential for their post season seeding. Something had to change.


     Change it did! Hayfield began an epic comeback, which rivaled some of the greatest comebacks in history. It all started with Sr. G Nathanial Holic, who shook off the first half doubt, and found his groove, racking up 16 second half saves (8 in each quarter), and finishing with 23 (his third 20 plus save game this season). He wasn’t the only one to find their mojo. Hughlett, as stated above, continued his full game effort, scoring 3 (all unassisted) of his 5 goals (along with 2 assists, for 7 pts in the game) in the pivotal 3 quarter, including one with 29 seconds left in the 3rd, which brought Hayfield to within 4 (10-6). Sr. MF JC Reynolds, face guarded most of the evening, still managed to break free for 2 goals (both in 4th) and 2 assists.


     Just as Holic (aided by Hayfield’s defense) was stopping everything the Rebels shot at him in the 2nd half, Hayfield needed offensive resurgence too. Jr. A Brendan MacBeth received a great pass from Reynolds, scoring the 2nd goal of the night, 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter which helped Hayfield take flight; the Hawks never looking back. Hughlett and So. A Ethan Artero (1 goal in the 3rd Qtr) took over after that, bringing Hayfield to within four, with 12 minutes to play. Then Reynolds and Jr. A Carson Babcock took over. Reynolds, receiver of a great pass from LSM Matt Stevenson, scored 66 seconds into the fourth, to trim the deficit to 3 goals.


      Babcock, the Hawks leading scorer (25 goals/6 assists/31pts) had been stymied over the first 36 minutes, hitting the crossbar twice. Babcock, though is one the Hawks hardest workers, so it was not long before he jumped into the scorers column. He found the back of the net twice (in little over a minute of play), to bring Hayfield to within one goal (10-9) at the 8:36 mark of the 4th. Then Hughlett scored his game equalizing 5th goal (10-10). The question now was, would this entire comeback be for not.


       Fairfax finally got open, but fatefully missed twice from inside 10 feet. Hayfield capitalized from their errors, taking the lead for good at the 5:10 mark of the fourth, on Reynolds 2nd goal of the evening, fittingly assisted by Hughlett. That’s when Babcock took over again, duplicating his earlier feat with 2 goals in the last minute and 51 seconds, to seal the epic comeback and victory, 13-10!!

Goals/Assists/Pts. Scored By: Babcock (4/0/4), Reynolds (2/2/4), MacBeth (1/0/1), Hughlett (5/2/7), Stevenson (0/1/1), Artero (1/0/1), Sipes (0/0/0), Milhon (0/0/0)


Skip Spirit Shop Ad
Advertisement Advertisement