Boys Varsity Lacrosse
|Hayfield Secondary School||9|
|Mount Vernon HS||11|
Majors Complete Comeback, Catch Hawks 11-9
Hayfield Varsity Boys Lacrosse started off fast, but could not hold onto the momentum of their high energy 1st half, as the Majors stormed back to take their home opener vs. their cross town rivals! The Hawks seemed to have the game in their hands, and were in control at half-time 8 – 5. Unfortunately, they peaked too soon, and the Majors of Mt. Vernon was able to score 4 times in the 4th quarter, to complete their comeback. The Hawks biggest contributor came from their anchor, Goalie Jake Fischer (18 saves). Fischer, who took over the starting goalie position last season as a sophomore, was a stalwart in net, as he turned away tough shot after tough shot, to keep Hayfield’s hopes alive in the 2nd half.
Other notable contributions:
- Jr. Midfielder Brian Marshall tallied his first two goals of the season, including a crazy shot that bounced in front of two Majors, then caromed over their heads into the goal. That score turned out to be Hayfield’s only goal in the 2nd half.
- Jr. Defenseman Kody Venable rifled in his first score of the season, on a beautiful end to end clear, and in turn earner the moniker “Lightning” from the opponents bench. Venable also gobbled up 6 ground balls, to pace the Hawks.
- Sr. Attack Clint Pearson was dynamic in the first half, striking for 4 goals (giving him 13 goals in the past three games). Pearson unfortunately drew a crowd (often double, or triple teamed) in the 2nd half, and Hayfield was unable to capitalize.
- So. Attack Hayden Page added his 1st goal of the season, on a hockey style shot off the truf, near the crease.
- Jr. Faceoff Midfield Luke Artero found the back of the net, and battled valiantly at the faceoff circle, never allowing his opponent a clean scoop, and winning 6 possession outright.
- Jr. Attackmen Amadu Turay (2 assists) and Patrick Manley Jr. (1 assist) each contributed with key passes through the heart of the Major’s defense.
Points Scored By: Goals: H. Page (1), C. Pearson (4), A. Turay (0), B. Marshall (2), O. Diallo (0), P. Manley Jr. (1), K. Venable (1)
Assists: P. Manley Jr. (1), H. Page (0), A. Medrano (0), O. Diallo (0), A. Turay (2)